Homes, office parks and parking lots are springing up in place of forests, meadows, and other open spaces. As a result, the land is losing its natural ability to absorb water and floods are becoming more severe.
At Orange Flood , we want you to have the peace of mind that comes from knowing your home is protected. To determine if your flood insurance is right for the situation you can contact our specialist to approve your Liberty Mutual Flood Insurance at:
Take these steps to protect your home from potential flood damage:
- Use water-resistant building materials.
- Leave the basement or lower floors unfinished.
- Prevent sewer lines from backing up— install backflow valves or standpipes.
- Raise your washer and dryer, water heater, oil tank, furnace or any electrical wiring on concrete blocks, above the base flood elevation (BFE). If you can’t raise these items, consider protecting them with a floodwall or shield.
- Install flood shields or built-up barriers for basement windows and doors. The tops of the shields and barriers should extend above the BFE.
- Install and maintain a sump pump system if you have below-grade floors.
- Landscape with native plants and vegetation that resist soil erosion.